I wouldn’t dare presume to do a packing video for RWA. If you’re looking for that, look to the master: Erin Knightley’s Packing Video (it is extraordinary). But while I was chatting last night with the Smacaroons, we were talking about packing lists.
So I thought I’d share my bare bones list--add or subtract to it as needed. I have a packing spreadsheet for outfits, but I’ve already been laughed out of social media for it, so I shan’t post it here. But, just know, if you’re sitting next to me in a session and have an issue with your shoes or hair or head, let me know. I’ll help you out with my magic pink bag of goodness.
Oh, before I post the checklist, I’ll say this: pay your bills this week or set up bill pay. RWA is the third full week of July, and I know I like to make my house payment then so it is set to go on the first—and I certainly don’t want to foget while I’m at Romance Camp.
- Blister bandages (those cushy gel ones are best)
- Paper tape (good in a pinch for blisters and for those with latex allergies)
- Shoe back stick-ons (even your most comfortable shoes will hate you by Friday)
- Shoe inserts (same)
- Safety pins
- Rubber bands/bobby pins
- Lint roller
- Makeup bag w/ all your pretties
- Quart bag for liquids per TSA
- Hair stuff—comb/pick, brush, spray/gel—if you use it
- Tampons/pads/liners (Oh, this list is lady-specific...sorry, dudes)
- Laundry bag
- Shoe bags
- Quart/gallon bags
Out the Door
- Evening bag
- Purse with zipper top (we’re in the big city)
- Umbrella (yep, look at the forecast)
Con Specific Stuff
- Business cards and holder
- Swag for Goody Room (and container per RWA Guidelines)
- Badge pins from previous conferences
- Notebooks, pens/pencils (or just pick up some pens in the goody room if you’re not picky)
- External battery charger (the con hotel will zap your phone...fast)
- Comfortable tote bag (or use the conference freebie if you’re not picky)
- Scarf/Shawl if AC is chilly in meeting rooms or on the plane
- EDIT: Envelope for keeping receipts tidy for the tax man (and chances are you can get one in the hotel if you forget...like I did).
You Look Marvelous
- Clothes for con and fun (don’t forget your RITA outfit!)
- Shoes, shoes, shoes, and more shoes
- Socks/hosiery as needed
- Laptop, tablet, phone, ereader AND THEIR CHARGERS/CORDS
What would you add? I'd love to know what you consider essential for travel!